The 1st licence was granted in 1713 so the pub is likely to have been built just before then. Was renamed Hallinans in the 1950's.
In 1995, the downstairs bar was converted to toilets.
The sailor that haunts this public house died shortly after finding his wife in bed with her secret lover. He is reputed to have a fondness of the cellar and the toilets.