There has been a pub on the site of the White Horse Inn for around 300 years. In its current form the White Horse dates from 1903, having been rebuilt following a fire in the 1890’s. The rebuilding commenced in 1898 completing in 1903 on the same site the fire having destroyed the original two storey building dating back over 200 years. The new inn was a substantial undertaking in its day with its own coach house (now a private residence) and many rooms to accommodate those travelling on the busy toll road to Chester and its important nearby ports, key areas of business. In the days of horse drawn transport the Inn had everything, modern stables with accommodation above for the stable lads and the horseman as well as comfortable rooms for the business traveller. The White Horse Inn was the pride of the brewery F.W. Soames which later became part of Border Breweries.
The Pub was bought and refurbished in 2007 by its current owners Joules Brewery using the original plans from 1903, restoring this outstanding building to its former glory. Further work is being undertaken to restore the old smoke room to a public area and to create a 30 seater dining area in the old outbuildings.
Landlady Sam Nikolic reported several strange events in the pub, including a room which filled with smoke (even though no source could be found) and the sounds of someone walking around empty parts of the building.